hello cupcake

hello cupcake
cupcake heaven

Friday, November 6, 2009

Gluten-Free Lifestyle

Gluten-Free? Eh eh--not for me. And, clearly "Mikey" don't live here either. My kids were NOT dancing to the tune of "give me, give me" with these, more like "err" (that's my one year old giving me his mushed food that he regurgitated). Now, the man of the house, played a different melody, his was more like..."baby give me one more try". After he devoured three consecutive gluten-free banana nut cupcakes, he mouthed in between chews--"not bad." Oddly enough, I actually believed him.



The aroma was quite appetizing, and they certainly looked better baked. Before that, I was scurred!! I wasn't sure what to expect. The process was pretty much the same. As usual, there was beating, whisking, mixing, sifting. No tricks. No magic. Besides, being gluten-free all roads led to the same bite size treat, or in this case maybe, a TRICK??? Hmm...... The batter had a sticky, slimy, snotty consistency, much like okra dipped in maple syrup. Yuck, get the picture? Mostly, I pipe the batter into the cupcake wells, not this time. This was more like the old-fashioned movement. Scooping was the technique of choice. In fact, it was the only way.

Why gluten-free you ask?

Well, by wikipedia definition a gluten-free diet is a diet completely free of ingredients derived from gluten-containing cereals: wheat (including kamut and spelt), barley, rye, and triticale, as well as the use of gluten as a food additive in the form of a flavoring, stabilizing or thickening agent. It is recommended amongst other things in the treatment of coeliac disease, non-coeliac gluten intolerance, dermatitis herpetiformis, Lyme disease, and wheat allergy.



That's why!! It's a lifestyle for those who may have dietary restrictions or choose healthier eating habits. Aren't options great? Here is another example of a request from a neighbor whose friend, of a friend, of a friend....six degrees people- that's all, has dietary needs. Clearly, he's not alone, so I decided to try my hand at it. Why not? As I said, not my fancy, but definitely an alternative to living without your favorite treat. Did I try them? Sure. And, I'm sticking (no pun intended) to my story.

My tune would be more like..."girls just want to have flour too"!

posted by Nicole Friday for the Cupcake Craze

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails