hello cupcake

hello cupcake
cupcake heaven

Sunday, February 21, 2010

Cupcaking for the Gold

"Would you be interested in catering a promotional event for Sanya Richards, the track star, Olympic gold medalist?"

That's what my publicist asked me a couple of weeks ago. The details: Sanya and her bridal party will be in New York City for the weekend celebrating her upcoming nuptials. Her beau: New York Giants cornerback Aaron Ross. The wedding: Well, WeTV Platinum Weddings is covering the bling affair. The ceremony: It's all taking place in Austin, Texas. By the way, they're both graduates of the University of Texas. And, they live there. Part-time, at least. Did I mention, he plays for the Giants! The after party: 700 hundreds guests. Enough said!

So, the girls are coming to the big apple to hang! One last hurrah!! A non-stop weekend filled with fittings, fifth avenue shopping, spa-ing, private fashion shows, dining, and cupcaking! That's where I come in. Yes, I too had my very own presentation. Well, not exactly. Me, and Kevan Hall, designer to the stars. You've seen his red carpet show stoppers draped on the likes of Vanessa Williams (Ugly Betty), Katherine Heigl (Grey's Anatomy); Marcia Cross (Desperate Housewives) and recently, Gabby Sidibe (Academy Award nominee-star of Precious).

Kevan's "one of a kind" and my "ready to eat" were both appetizing to the eye, and stomach. Sanya and the girls were happy to indulge. There's something about food and fashion that really gets a girl going. Agree? Men, take notes. (You're not the only ones who have ways to your heart!!!) :)

The apparent theme of the evening was filled with fun, fashion and food. It hardly ever gets better than that! It was a blast! First up, Me. I presented the cupcakes. Told the gang who "I" was, what "I" did and how "I" did it. Surprise-was the overall reaction. "You made these?"- was echoed by several. But, without hesitation they ALL dove into the tempting treats before them. Since this was a bridal celebration, I wanted to complement the occasion with the perfect festive cupcakes. The coconut cream-screams marry me. Now!


The cupcakes were eaten in unison. It was the "different" styles of eating the "same" cupcake that was interesting to watch. A few bit right in. Some ate the coconut flakes off the top as if they were eating popcorn out of a bag. Others, ate the icing first, (reminiscent of our primitive years), and the cake last. It felt like different versions of the same movie. With all the head nodding, the eye rolling and the hmmm's....this is good. It was a moment to enjoy! For me, and them!!!




After, the sugar rush. It was onto the fashion show. The room was filled with oooh's and aaah's each time the model catwalked the fall collection. The roar crescendo resonated through the room when a "show stopper" was presented. They loved everything!!! Genuinely!! I even got a dress named after me, well sort of..."the cupcake dress". "Kevan-what a delicious idea!!!" Perhaps, you can unveil it during the spring collection!!! Just a thought!





Sanya had her picks. She was ready to walk the catwalk and do the "stanky leg". Got me! Texas verbiage?? Maybe!
















The highlight of the evening was a show stopper that- was untouchable. This was not a, Kevan Hall design. It was mine. Actually, it was more like a wardrobe malfunction. Before, the event began. We, "the presenters" were sitting around chatting it up. I happened to look down at my boots and noticed a design on my left boot that I didn't or couldn't see on my right boot. Could it be? Nooooo, I looked closer. Impossible!!! I asked myself, "do I have on two different boots?" Nooooooo waaaaaayyyy! How could that be? I looked closer. Subtly, I raised my pants and bent down to get a closer look.

OMG!!!!!!! I HAD ON TWO DIFFERENT BOOTS. ONE BLACK. AND, ONE CHOCOLATE. I was mortified!!!! But, began to hysterically laugh out loud. It was unbelievable!!!! Insane!!! Ridiculous!!!! I shared my new fashion statement with the gang and we all just howled. I laughed, until I cried. How does that happen??? How did I not know? I made it all the way to the affair without a clue. What a goof ball!!! Clearly, I had way to much going on. The life of a mompreneur!!! For the rest of the night- I tried to hide my feet. That was hard. I'm sure someone in Sanya's crew recognized the mix up. No one said anything-maybe they didn't notice, or they were just being polite. Maybe they thought- this broad is crazy- but her cupcakes were good!! Either way-- this one goes down in history.




At the end of the night, we all agreed...they were a great group of girls!


Thanks for sparing my feelings, ladies.

Congratulations, Sanya and Best Wishes to you and Aaron!!

posted by Nicole Friday for the Cupcake Craze


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails