hello cupcake

hello cupcake
cupcake heaven

Wednesday, September 9, 2009

The Giant-Size Cupcake- Oops!

Today is my sons 4th birthday he wanted a giant-size cupcake, of course. Thinking ahead a couple of weeks ago, I bought a giant cupcake pan from Michael's Arts & Crafts or AC Moore, can't remember, one of those places-cute though!
This morning is also EJ's first day of school- so I have a lot going on and I'm blogging. For some reason, I had this crazy idea to bake the cupcake this morning before I took him to school, what was I thinking? I mean, I'm usually up at the crack of dawn-6am to be exact, depending on what time my human alarm clock goes off (that's my 1 1/2 year old) he let's me know when it's morning so I didn't really think it would be a big deal especially since I planned on getting some help from Mrs. Crocker- Gasp! I know save the drama- how dare I, right! But a batch from scratch would have been out of the question- I needed something quick, really simple and easy- I thought! Kids don't care even mine just want mile-high frosting and tons of sprinkles anyway. The supermom thing just wasn't in my favor this morning- besides a little backsliding every now and then never hurt nobody. I'll get back on my homemade game next week.

So, I get the devil's food cake box 'cause chocolate is his favorite, and all the recommended ingredients, but of course I have to add in my own substitutes, usually I like to omit the water and add buttermilk (sour cream or yogurt) are also great substitutes for water if you are using the box legends. While I was prepping I was also tending to my 1 1/2 year old who was busy in his high chair eating his favorite food- cheerios. I was also preparing EJ's lunch, getting his breakfast, Apple Jacks-usually the cereal of choice, and unloading the dishwasher- whew I had a lot to do and needed to get it all done and have this giant-sized cupcake in the oven by 7am. I wasn't sure how long it would take so I gave myself about an hour before I had to take EJ to school.

I added the buttermilk, four eggs instead of three, 1/3 vegetable oil and 1 1/2 cups of water- WATER? What- I wasn't supposed to add the water because I added the buttermilk- Oh no, what am I going to do? The batter looks and moves more like chocolate pancake batter rather than cupcake batter. I mildly panic, and just stood there momentarily in a state of disbelief trying to retrack my steps and figure out how I goofed! I added, the buttermilk, the eggs, the oil AND WATER- I just had too many things going on usually I can multi-task no problem, but this morning wasn't going so well. I thought I should just dump the whole thing out and start over, but what about the four eggs, the cup of buttermilk and the oil- what a waste that would be. So, I turned to google for answers- NOTHING! Yikes! I stood there starring over my chocolate syrup a little longer and thought- CAKE FLOUR Eureka!! I'll sift some cake flour about 1/2 cup and add it to the batter to thicken. So, I did. I rebeat it and it seemed like it was okay. It looked the part, tasted the part...hmmm...poured it in the pan, popped it in the oven. Not really sure how long it's going to take, but I have to be out of here by 8am and it's now 7:39- I better hurry, I say c'mon EJ let's get dressed, nope he's not even dressed yet- this is so not good. Gotta run I'll get back to you later......


To be continued

posted by Nicole Friday for the Cupcake Craze

1 comment:

  1. come back!!
    so much drama and suspense...can't wait to read the conclusion! it's his birthday...this just HAS to have a happy ending.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails